General Areas of Experience: Object oriented software design, High Availability design, Scalable design, Cloud architecture (Amazon Web Services and Rackspace Cloud Services), Mobile design, Principles of web usability, Content management systems and tools.
- Architecting a scalable, high-availability, maintainable infrastructure using linux, apache, mysql, php, memcached and other core services to support WRAL web operations with 1.5 billion page views per year
- Developing a scalable, object oriented core php library framework on which to build out the WRAL.com website, automation systems, and other WRAL projects.
- Integrating Amazon Web Services and Rackspace Cloud offerings to reduce hardware costs and ramp up capacity in real time on demand.
- Implementing 2 complete redesigns in 8 years of WRAL.com
- Developing a brand new Web 2.0-style drag-and-drop content management system, used by approximately 150 editors to produce WRAL.com
- Integrating social networking functionality into WRAL.com, with features such as personal profiles, friendships, story commenting, groups, blogs, message boards, image galleries, ratings and more
- Scoping and building a custom server farm for WRAL.com, primarily composed of load balancers, file servers, webservers, database servers and memcache servers, all capable of sustaining a load of over 600 dynamic page views per second
- Participating in weekly strategy reviews to ensure all ongoing development meets business goals, editorial values, and technical quality standards
- Relaunched the newspaper's two largest online properties (newsobserver.com and triangle.com) with new designs on a new publishing system.
- Created numerous Perl CGI and PHP applications for the newspaper's website, including an online calendar system, feed monitoring system, automated online payment system, and other interactive elements.
- Developed data feeds such as RSS, Associated Press news feeds, print publishing system exports, online content management system imports, eCommerce software sales information, and online advertising routing and tracking.
- Managed and maintained the Bureau's complete web presence and all online marketing technology.
- Developed new interactive web site components, including a state-of-the-art online event management system for the City of Raleigh, several viral marketing applications, live chat support for visitors, and more.
- Designed web sites, email lists/campaigns, web-ready graphics, and online components for various online promotions.
- Evaluated, purchased, installed and managed network servers, components and other technology.
- Designed Internet tools to manage data for such clients as Cisco Systems, Xerox, Pitney Bowes, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Boise Cascade and Trammell Crow.
- Created databases for use with web applications.
- Customized HTML, CGI scripts, software and other content for clients.
- Produced complete site designs and web-ready graphics.
- Wrote shell and Perl scripts to automate web hosting processes.
- Installed, configured, and customized the iChat software for clients.
- Customized HTML, CGI scripts, software and other content for clients in order to facilitate integration of the iChat software into the clients web site.
- Wrote Perl daemons to automate chat room monitoring and eliminate hacking and flooding.
- Wrote shell and Perl scripts to integrate the iChat login process with the clients existing site login and user database.
- Managed hosted iChat software on Red Hat Linux web servers.
- Provided fee-services consulting to Xerox clients on emerging web strategies.
- Created Xerox client intranet sites.
- Developed custom web applications for Xerox client's online document management needs.
- Webmaster for the regional Xerox employee intranet site (North and South Carolina).
- Managed the rollout of new and upgraded custom Xerox software services to client sites.
- Managed a 5-member technical/operational support and response team.
- Provided pre-sale technical support to sales team.